Monday, December 01, 2003

Get out of the Boat

Last week I was reading in John 21 the other day and I read something I haven't been able to shake from my mind. The setting is after the resurrection. Peter, James, John, and the gang decided to go fishing. They hadn't caught anything all night. They see this man on the shore who tells them to throw on the other side of the boat (they don't recognize that this is Jesus). They then catch tons of fish. All of the sudden John sees that this is Jesus and shouts to Peter, "It's the Lord!" This is what sticks in my head. Peter immediately wraps his clothes around him and jumps in the water, swimming for Jesus.

I am amazed how much Peter wants to be with Jesus, not be like Him or rule with Him, but WITH Him. I ask myself how little I desire to be with Jesus. I don't get so excited that I'll do just about anything to be with Him. Last night we saw "Elf" with Will Ferrel. What makes this movie funny is Will's enthusiasm for Christmas. My wife and I remarked how we do not have that same childlike wonder and excitement for Jesus.

Jesus, may my love, passion and zeal for you grow each day. May my heart be so tied to you that more than anything I want to be with you. Just to sit on your lap and rest in your presence.

Amen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home