Saturday, July 26, 2003

My wife, sister, and I saw Seabiscuit last night. It is an excellent movie! I highly recommend it. I won't give the ending away, but a main theme is how broken people come together and make each other whole again. This is a great picture of what Christian community should be like. We as broken, sinful people come together in the name of Christ. Through community with the Holy Spirit and each other. Lives are mended. Souls are renewed. People are sanctified. I feel really strongly that relationships are essential to growing in Christ. A friend of mine who works at my church said recently that one cannot truly know God apart from community. He got a lot of flack for that. I agree with Him. Sure, it is necessary to break away and be alone with God. Silence is necessary to the Christian walk, but community is where we see our good and bad natures act out. In community we see the best and the worst of ourselves. After all, God said that it was not good for Adam to be alone (Gen 2). Adam, who walked in the presence of God, was incomplete without human companionship. Every time I think about that my noodle (and theology) gets baked.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home