Wednesday, October 29, 2003

Becoming like Christ

I am teaching on what it means to become like Christ. My wife and I were talking and she said some things that really impressed me. In her eyes, becoming like Christ is like finding out what exactly your true place in the world. We, as humans, try to be everything but what God has made us to be. We try to be God and rule ourselves. We try to be like the guy down the street who is better than us. Other animals don't do this. Frogs don't wake up one morning and say, "I'd like to be a lion!" Why do humans do it? Well, sin is the reason. We need to realize that Jesus is our true Father and we have a place in His purpose. Our place is being a part of God's plan. Jesus understood this. One aspect of His job was to die for our sins. He understood that the painful death was his part to play and told God, "Nevertheless, Your will be done." Only when we understand this and become who God has made us to be will we truly live. Understanding this is where true freedom comes from. In being like Christ we have the freedom to be who God made us to be. Colossians tells us that we have died with Christ and we raised with Christ to a new life. That new life is a life of freedom to worship God in all we do.

Father, I need to understand more where my place is. Father, I want to work for your purposes alone. Help me to resign who I want to be and seek what you want me to be. I have died to the old self so I may live, by the Spirit's help, for you. I pray that your church, led by Christians who understand their need for you, will point people to Christ in new and magnificent ways. Give us creativity and passion to serve. Spirit, guide us to transform this culture and world around us for the Glory of God, the Father.

In Christ,
Amen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home