Monday, February 02, 2004

Hello, my name is Kevin...and I am Postmodern
Today I went to a conference on Postmodernism and the church. The speaker was one of my favorite authors named Brian McClaren. He is one of the leading thinkers of the Postmodernism in the church. While I can't give justice to what all was said today I can give you a taste. I believe this world is in a process of change. I believe that the church must rethink itself in order to stay relevant and effective in ministry. This change may entail us Christians letting go of some of our sacred cows. We will have to embrace one another, our social duty in the world, and the history (both good and bad) of the church. If you want to know more I would love to dialogue.

The conference was great because I came away feeling encouraged to see Christians of different views honestly and openly discuss issues. I was encouraged because sometimes I feel like no one understands the way I see God and Christ and the church.

Here are some thoughts in my head:
1. Is the Gospel much more than getting one's butt into heaven? It is about a holistic change of the person in which they see their life as one of bringing about God's kingdom here on earth.
2. In order to gain credibility, we must be willing to express our past mistakes (as a church) to non-Christians.
3. We must be willing to ask more questions in our teaching than dispensing pre-packaged truth.
4. We must break from the cycle of consumerism in America (especially in the church).
5. We can no longer simply share Christ with people and neglect living like Christians (I.E. serving the poor).
6. Postmodernism is not a synonym for moral relativism.

What are some other ways in which the Church must rethink Christianity? I am still journeying in this mindset and don't know where I will end up. I know I will probably admit to some heresies along the way, but I believe that Christ is calling me to be who I am. He is calling the church to be light in this world. He will accomplish His desire for all the world to one day bow at His feet and I am willing to follow Him where He leads me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home