Thursday, August 04, 2005

Treasures of the past

A few nights ago the wifey and I, up to our ears in boxes, found some old CD's. She had unearthed a few Pearl Jam albums and we excitedly gave them a spin. Man, I forgot how great these albums are! What is cool is that all these memories flooded back into my brain about where I was in life when I first listened to the albums. I think the soundtrack of my life is a very eclectic one.

In my early years, I listened to a lot of oldies music (mostly because that is what my parents listened to). I went through a popular country phase in my late childhood (complete with the Garth Brooks-esque hat and boots). My teen years were saturated with Nirvana, Pearl Jam, STP and of course, tons and tons of SKA. Ska represented the happy, upbeat, optimistic teen years. Since then I have immersed myself in the deep soul of Johnny Cash, my my musical kindred. I also enjoy the harder stuff like Irish punk (Flogging Molly) and Linkin Park.

What is my current music saying about me? I enjoy lyrics with thought and depth, much like my conversations. I thrive in finding new metaphors to capture empotion and feelings. I love songs that tell a story, which is why I love Johnny Cash. Above all, I am not satisfied with simple catchy pop song that don't leave me hungry for more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home