Saturday, July 28, 2007

Mini_Marathon

So, these past few weeks I have been running a ministry marathon of sorts. We had an awesome time in Seattle. I was again reminded that God is among the poor and in the margins. Seattle is a beautiful town. I am so glad I got to see the ocean (man how I have missed it).

All this week I haven't had a chance to think through what God is doing in my life. I am learning to be comfortable with who I am. On the seattle trip we had some great people helping us (Funky, Bubba, Marcus, and the gang). Our students really connected to them, which is great. I suffered a bit from envy, because these guys were way cooler than me.
In ministry, the coolness factor is always haunting you. The lie Satan tells youth ministers is "the cooler you are, the more kids come to Christ". Yes, I admit that I accept that lie sometimes.

to all my high school friends: Comparison doesn't necessarily leave after you graduate. You still have to wrestle with where you find your security and worth.

I don't know where I am going with this except I realize that it used to be much more devastating to me when I felt like I was being traded up for someone cooler. That is comforting to me. I am still bummed a bit, but it doesn't faze me in the same way. I hope that is because I am allowing God to speak into my life and heart. It reminds me of a line from an old hymn "My hope is built on nothing less, than Jesus' blood and righteousness." That's my hope, not in my abilities, but in Jesus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home