Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Surpised By Augustine
I know my friend Shane loves the book "Surprised by the Spirit". Well, a friend of mine gave me a copy of "Augustine's Confessions". I didn't know what to think. I am only a few chapters into it so here are my impressions. First of all, I had this vague notion of Augustine being the Father of the concept of original sin. I can see his concept of sin permeating his whole life, even from a young age.

I have been surprised not by Augustine's concept of sin, but his passionate love for Christ. Augustine addresses his audience (God) as "My Joy", "My Peace", and "My Love". You get the real sense that he was really in love with Christ. He knew that true joy, peace, and love comes from Christ alone. I have been humbled by this, knowing that I look for security and meaning in so many things beside Christ. Thank you Augustine. Thank you for your confusing language and sentence structure that makes me read twice as slow. Thank you because it has made me pour over your words of devotion. The words I hope to someday make 100% true in my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home