Friday, August 15, 2003

Today I meet a guy who could possibly be our new high school pastor. I was really close to the last guy, so I know that I need to keep an open mind about him. It is going to be a really tough weekend for him. He got in last night, had dinner with one of the families on the search commitee. Today he tours the building and gets grilled by the senior pastor and some of the elders. Tonight another dinner, then the paid youth staff will hang out for dessert and games. More grilling tomorrow. Sunday, he teaches in front of the high school group. The guy knows he didn't impress the search commitee with his teaching tape, so there is pressure there.

As someone who will be going through all this when I graduate seminary in two years, I realize how much pressure there is. I don't even think he's the best person for our ministry, but I feel for him. Have we made church ministry about having it all together. We want the total package. We want someone who is a great administrator, dynamic speaker, can think outside the box, is highly relational, super relevant, great family man, relate to the jocks, freaks, preps, and geeks. All this and can walk on water! The body of Christ is meant to be a place where we don't need a superman! I sure as heck know I can't do all those things, why then do I put those expectations on other pastors? Where is the team work? Where are the different people with different gifts? I am preaching to myself more than anything because as youth ministry becomes more and more professionalized, it runs into the danger of missing the gospel of grace. It misses the point of being ok with the situation God has put us in.

I remember my high school pastor saying, "Kevin, I want to be there when you speak at your first conference!" In my mind I was stoked. I thought that my youth pastor was complimenting me by saying that I had what it takes to be a great youth pastor. I thought that when I do speak at a conference I will have "made it". The truth is, I may never speak to a huge crowd. I may never be a Doug Fields or Mike Yaconelli (two big names in youth ministry). God has me here...now...to reach students with the amazing news of Jesus Christ. That is the thrill! That is the rush! I have "made it", all youth pastors have "made it" when they see themselves as God created them and where He placed them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home