Friday, August 01, 2003

The week was a great but tiring one. After leading games for 200 elementary aged kids during the heat of the day then speaking to a youth group at night I am wiped out. Luckily, I get to take a short road trip to Austin and San Antonio with my wife. I know a road trip doesn't sound too relaxing, but I am excited to get out of town and see new places.

One thing I learned this week is how narrow I have defined a healthy youth ministry before this week. My friend's youth group is a small group with mostly homeschoolers. There is one down syndrome boy and another young man with some emotional and mental issues. The first night three of them got into a major fight. I had concluded that no usefull ministry could be done in "such conditions". Basically, I was a big spiritual snothead.

The second night we went bowling. The same group that argued bitterly the night before rallied around the same troubled youth who had previously caused the problems. They encouraged the down syndrome boy. They even helped and cheered for the problem child. I realized that they had their problems and fights, more because they were a close tight knit group than due to any spiritual deficit. The youth group I work in have no fights, not because everyone loves each other so much, but because they don't care enough about each other to get worked up. In the end I was shown that the true kingdom of Heaven is for the misfits who love each other enough to occasionally hate each other's guts, but still love and encouage one another. Thanks to SDBC for teaching me so much!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home