Friday, September 12, 2003

Tis a sad day

Johnny Cash died today. A few years ago I found Cash's music and became an instant fan. His sometimes silly, always emotional songs brought joy to my life. My wife and friends will tell you that whenever Johnny came on the radio or a CD was on I had to listen to it and most likely I sang along as well. One time on a mission trip I popped Johnny in the CD player in Alabama at 10:00 at night and let him play till Louisiana. That was a great road trip.

I love his testimony. The Man in Black grew up in Arkansas and had a rough start in life. He got saved after a long running drug problem and even sang consistently at Billy Graham Crusades with his wife June Carter Cash. Mostly, I will miss his ability to tell a painful story through music. He gave a voice to hurting people everywhere and at the same time gave light to those same people. Johnny, I'm gonna miss ya!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home