Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Putting your faith in morality

Last night I was watching the Bachelorette (ok I know that sounds questionable for a man to watch, but a guy from our church was on the show). The guy made a big deal about the fact that he was saving himself for marriage. While that is an honorable thing, I question the reasoning of making that your platform in a dating show. First, it's kind of wierd to have someone open up to you about their sex life before you really know them. Secondly, it seemed as if the faith he was preaching on the show was not a faith in Christ, it was a faith in abstinence. I know that the guy was probably edited heavily, but you know that going on the show.

I would much rather have a person make a fool out of themselves being pushy about Christ, than about virginity. To the world, this guy was all about abstinence (once again a noble and honorable thing). Many Christians will applaud this young man for "making a stand". In my opinion he was making a stand for morality, not Christ. Is that what the world needs to hear? My hope is not in how pure I can keep myself (thank God). My hope is in the grace of God to cover my shortcomings.

We American Christians (myself included) make much of the morality we hold, but fail to make much of the centrality of Christ. We speak out against gays and liberalism and living together before marriage. We often neglect the other issues of morality (like greed and gluttony). Why can't proclaim Christ instead of "morality". Christ came to save us from such "morality". Don't get me wrong, living with righteousness is the calling for every Christian. Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness and self-control should be central to our lifestyles as Christians, but we cannot proclaim our own ability or morality as Christianity.

The words to a hymn comes to mind:

My hope is built on nothing less,
Than Jesus' blood and righteousness

Amen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home