Tuesday, May 11, 2004

Hot Dogs and Hearty Laughs
Kudos to Valerie for a wonderful night last evening. It was her husband Jacob’s b-day so we headed to a Ft. Worth Cats game last night. I don’t like watching baseball, but I really do enjoy going to a game with a bunch of friends. Afterwards there was a fireworks display. There is something tangibly American about going to a ball game, having a hotdog and peanuts, and watching fireworks. The experience wraps you in a blanket of nostalgia that doesn’t leave you cold. For the first time in a long time I felt exuberance for our country that I don’t often feel. I tend to make my God my god, not my country, which leaves me with little patriotism at times. Last night, however, was a much welcomed rift in that pattern.

Divine appointments
This morning, though I wanted to, I couldn’t sleep in. Something kept saying to me, “Get up you lazy bum!” So I got up and decided I would spend some quiet time with God while throwing a Frisbee golf disc around. I figured I would get some leisurely exercise and be able to listen to God in between holes. God had a different plan. On the second hole I was walking up the hill searching for my wayward disc when a dog ran up to me. Behind some trees I hear a voice say, “Have you seen a red disc anywhere?” It was Claudio. We ended up playing the rest of the course together. It was fun and there was some good conversation. I don’t get a chance to spend time with non-believers very much (working at a church and all) so the only place I see them is on the course. Many of them are young guys with a cigarette in one hand and a beer in the other. Some are socially awkward but many are really nice guys. I have decided that the disc golf course is my link with the outside world…a link that I desperately need. I’m not out to be the Billy Graham of Zebo’s Frisbee Golf course. I am, however, happy for guys like Claudio who keep me connected with a lost and dying generation. After all, didn’t Jesus say, “Blessed are the disc throwers…” I’m still trying to find the exact reference of that one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home