Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Couple Class
This weekend my wife and I went to a class on the Christian home. At first I was very weary about making yet another trip to school and was worried that she wouldn't enjoy it. I must say that we had a great time. Our professor really does a wonderful job of bringing the grand themes of theology down to the practicalness of life. Over the course of a few weeks I will be commenting on some of these themes here. Our professor wanted me to journal about the lessons learned and since this is the closest thing I do to journaling, you all will learn something (hopefully) too.

One of the things that really impacted me was the reading of the creation accounts. I think we often skim over Genesis one with regards to the creation of man and woman because we think that the real "truth" about the account comes in chapter two. In chapter one, however, we see that God creates man AND woman in His image. In chapter two Eve is made from Adam. This refers to chronology, but chapter one gives insight into importance. Man and woman are equally important and equally reflect God's image. They just do it differently. In chapter one we also find out that woman was given the same charge of dominion over the land that man was. Eve wasn't just an afterthought to make Adam's job easier, both are co-regents of creation.

What excites me is that I see how my wife and I are both gifted in special ways to complete the job God has for us. She is not here to help me complete my job. I can look to my wife and see how God is using her in mighty ways. He has a unique plan and ministry for her. As a pastor, it is easy for me to slip into the idea that she is my wife to assist my youth ministry. Truth be told it is ministry to our family that God calls us to first. But God has something marvelous for her alone. It may be connected to youth ministry. If it is, great. If not, wonderful. My prayer is that my eyes would open to see what God has planned for her and her life, not just how she can assist me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home