Friday, October 01, 2004

Theology of Marriage-the Trinity

Another session we discussed in our couples class was how the Trinity models our marriages. Our professor, using John 13-17, discussed how the three members of the Godhead interacted with one another. There were a number of facets to this. First, they speak highly of one another. Second, they trust one another. Third, they represent one another. Fourth, they seek each other's glory.

There are many great points packed into these truths. But I want to focus on one because I believe that it has a direct impact on the others. What I want to focus on is the fact that each member of the Godhead seeks the glory of the others. Jesus seeks the glory of the Father and expects that the Father will glorify the Son. This is so important for married couples. I should always ask myself, "Am I seeking to glorify my spouse?" Am I looking for ways to make her look good in front of others? This goes far beyond not saying anything bad about my wife. It means that I should speak highly of my wife in front of others. Do the people I encounter come away knowing how amazing my wife is? Or they just know that I am married? I have little problems with speaking negatively about my wife. It doesn't happen much. What I do need to work on is actually including positive comments about my spouse in everyday conversation.

Giving glory to our spouse encourages trust and love. Imagine hearing from other people that your spouse spoke highly of you behind your back. Imagine how that would make your day. Seeking your spouse's glory also prevents other people from getting wrong idea. People of the opposite sex should quickly get the idea that you are not on the market because your spouse is so great. It sends the message that no one could match up to your spouse in your eyes.

So, I want to seek my wife's glory as Jesus sought the Father's glory.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home