Wednesday, February 25, 2004

The Passion

So I was just listening on the radio a review of the movie from a regular, non-Christian radio station. The reviewer made a great point. Why is it that Christians praise this movie as the best movie of all time and yet will denounce the evil horrors of movie violence in such films as "Kill Bill"? I know that The Passion is history and Kill Bill is not. But it raises the issue of how Christians are being seen by non-Christians because of our shameless promotion of this movie. I do think this story needs to be told. I do believe that the story is the most powerful story ever, but I wonder if this movie is really for the Christians and not "the greatest evangelism tool ever made" as some have said. It will be interesting as to how non-Christians will react. My hope is that we will see this movie a bridge to open dialogue with other people. My fear is that non-Christians will in large part not be as affected as we Christians are anticipating. This is not because the Gospel is less powerful than we make it out to be, but because we will have substituted this movie for building loving relationships with non-Christians. I will see this movie and I anticipate being moved deeply, but I imagine this movie causing more Christians to kindle afresh the joy of knowing Jesus who is Lord and Christ rather than non-Christians coming to faith.

I could be wrong (Lord, knows I have many times before) and I pray I am. My hope is in the Holy Spirit and in the love of the saints and the power of Jesus Christ. These things will be the means of salvation for all people who will believe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home