Tuesday, October 19, 2004

My First Wedding

This weekend I performed my first wedding. The great thing about it is that my sister was the bride. I was certainly nervous beforehand, but once the ceremony got going I didn't even sweat. You get a different perspective on marriage when you are the one performing the ceremony. You see first hand the stars in their eyes. You experience the butterflies along with the groom and the tears with the bride. It made me reflect on my marriage. How blessed I am to have such a wonderful wife. She does so much to make me a more loving, patient person. What I have learned recently (from classes and performing the ceremony) is that marriage goes far beyond warm feelings. It even extends past finding a best friend. Part of the unexplored facet of marriage is the purpose of making one another holy. My wife has gently nudged me to be a more holy person. She guides me in self-reflection as I discover my faults and strengths. She helps me see myself (and others) from a different perspective and I am much better for it. So often we shy away from the pain of self-discovery, but this is necessary if we are to break free from the bonds of sin in our lives. My wife helps me to do that, not through beating me down, but through the building up the facets of holiness in my life. I am eternally greatful for her in that regard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home