Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Return of the Prodigal Son

Last night I picked up Nouwen's Return of the Prodigal Son. I read the book years ago and it touched me greatly. As I opened the pages again my heart was renewed. I was reminded of my similarity to the son. It is the Father who has sought me and embraced me. My need is great. His provision is greater. I was brought back to the moment of that embrace. Why don't I live in the embrace of the Father? So often my life is a series of leaving the embrace of God and returning to it when I feel isolated and alone. What if life is better lived with the constant mindset of dwelling in the embrace of God? Wouldn't I feel more alive, more loved, more confident, and more secure? Wouldn't I be able to reach out to others more effectively?

Another author (Miroslav Volf) wrote about the embrace of God as a means of reconciliation between people. In a society of handshakes and politeness we have lost the pure joy of truly embracing one another. We often feel odd when someone we don't know hugs us. And if a person won't let go we become uneasy.

I want to live in the embrace of the Father. Constantly, deeply, thoughtfully and purposefully.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home