Monday, January 09, 2006

The Pleasure of My Company
So I picked up this novella (short novel) by THE Steve Martin thanks to my boss who gave me an Amazon gift certificate. It's about a guy who is filled to the brim with neurosis (like not being able to step off curbs). Anyway, it was an incredibly moving story about how living for other people can actually make you lose the things that hinder you in life. At the beginning of the story I laughed out loud alot, Steve Martin is a funny writer. By the end I started accepting this guy's quirks as fairly normal. It's been a while since I've read a piece of fiction that moved me. It didn't hurt that the story had two settings So. Cal and Texas. I still haven't read SHOPGIRL, his first novel, but I think I might pick it up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home