Thursday, January 12, 2006

Worshipping with a Hasidic Jew
Matisyahu is a raggae artist from New York who also happens to be a Hasidic Jew (is still waiting for the Messiah (Moshiac). I heard his song "King Without a Crown" on the radio on Saturday and found it online on Monday. Here's the chorus:

What's this feeling?
My love will rip a hole in the ceiling
Givin' myself to you from the essence of my being
Sing to my G-d all these songs of love and healing
Want Moshiach now so it's time we start revealing

The rest is a beautiful piece of prose that sing of love for God. This song moves me to worship in so many ways. First, it expresses joy and love for God in words and images that are not present in most of worship music. Second, musically the song has much more than the 5 chord mellow worship stuff of our generation. The question is. Can I worship with song written by a guy who doesn't believe in that Moshiac has come? I asked this question to a guy in our church and he asked me what the difference was between this and using the Psalms as worship. David awaiting Moshiac just as Matisyahu is.

What is more amazing is that this guy is actually getting recognition on MTV and VH1. How cool is that a raggae jew singing about his love for God is connecting with this generation!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home