Thursday, November 10, 2005

Pigeons and Handlebar Mustaches
My parents are in town (got in at 1:00AM last night). I figured I'd take the time to give an 'Ode to my dad. So here goes:

For a man whose vocabulary is as unintelligible as a charismatic healing prayer service (see further "Wandangle" and "MotherFlutcher"), my dad can explain the most complicated technical machine in terms that even I can understand. His fits of steadfast opinionated-ness are covered by a consistent and dedicated self-sacrifice for his wife and children. This ailing superhero cares for a child like no other, with patience and joy. His eyes light up when I call him and his smile beams at the sight of his grandchildren. He is a man so steadfast that he worked for a single company most of his working career. My father once worked as a milkman, plumber, hitchiker, minor league ball player, sponsored surfer and little league coach (my favorite of his professions). My dad owns the same pair of shorts he had when the first Bush was President, has had a perm, and claims he was wearing Hawaiian shirts before I was born. Though his standard fare is a TCU hat, flip flops, and a bare chest. Ken Libick has a green thumb the size of Rhode Island and can tell you the genetic lineage of his pigeons dating back to the dawn of the Common Era. He has a taste for fish, tomatoes, fine mustards, and bargain bakery day old bread. Though it may involve a little grumbling Ken never denies his children the necessities in life. This man reads like it is in style. He consistently asks me about areas of the Christian heritage that I've never even heard about. He could tell you about giants of the bygone Golden Age of Baseball, and has no tolerance for cheaters and arrogance. He likes Jazz, country, rock and roll, and talk radio. His favorite beverage is fresh diner coffee. His greatest "weakness" is that he believes in me. He is able to leap tall ideas with a single bound. He is a great many things, with a great many abilities. What I love most is that he is my dad and I love him for making me the man I am today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home